Sunday, June 12, 2011

One of those moments ..

I miss my family .. this weekend I went over to Rob's sister's and met most of the family .. his sister's, cousins .. little babies. I got to watch new grandparents, and great grand parents all interact. It was pretty cool. In my married life we would go to the in-laws every Thanksgiving and see Grammy and Grampy .. all the uncles and aunts and cousins. They were nice, very down to earth ..I find myself always wishing I had my sisters and their families close by. Now that I'm divorced, the teenagers and I go to my sister's house in Massachusetts. I love it there .. my nephews and niece are so fun. Hard to believe I changed their diapers 25 years ago!!! My other sister lives in the Philippines .. we're lucky if we see each other every other year. I haven't seen her girls since 2003!
My other sister lives in Amsterdam .. usually we'll see her family every other year. My mom lives in the Hague ..every other year is just too little. My mom is getting older, and traveling for her is getting more difficult .. I don't like the thought that we'll never have those family gatherings.. watching my nephews have babies, seeing my sisters become grandparents ... large family dinners and lots of conversations going in all directions... complete chaos .. but family chaos.
Right now the best I get is daily Yahoo Instant Messaging with the Manila sister .. a weekly call to my mom .. and maybe every other month to Amsterdam sister. I talk to my Massachusetts sister probably every other day ... I should be grateful that we have that .. but on gatherings like this weekend, I begin to realize how much I miss my family.

My uncle and aunt, my sisters and me in 2009.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww.... :( I miss your family for you! I hate that it seems the older we get, the only thing that truly bring everyone together... is a funeral! Blah!

    ReplyDelete