I always believed that I would raise my babies fairly. I would be respectful to them .. never speak down to them. My sisters and I were raised as the “seen but not heard” children, we didn’t know anything, because, after all, we were just children.Even now, as they are teenagers, I continue to “be fair” … Maybe it’s the guilt, and the wonder that I may have ruined them with the divorce .. so, I’m sure I tend to be softer than I should. One of the ways I try to be “fair” is on the weekends .. Friday nights are their night .. I make myself available all night to them. If they need rides .. whatever, I’m home and it’s their night. Saturday night is my night ..that’s when I can to do whatever it is I want .. Well, this past weekend was a little different .. my honey couldn’t go out on Saturday, so we agreed on Friday night .. (note: Still one night out of the two nights available!)
Here is how the conversation went on Friday morning before we all went our separate ways for school and work …
Mom: Okay, what are your plans tonight guys, loving teenagers?
Teenage Boy: I don’t know…
Teenager Girl: Mom, I’m trying to get ready for school, I don’t know (always friendly)
Mom: Okay, so here’s the deal .. I’d like to go out tonight, and so, I’ll be home tomorrow night .. does that work?!
Teenage Boy: What? but I want N to come over tonight … and tomorrow night we may go out for dinner ..
Mom: (feeling the need to explain .. when I really don’t NEED to) .. Well, R can only do something tonight .. and since he and I haven’t seen each since last week .. I think it’s okay for me to go out with him tonight, and be available to you guys tomorrow night … I’m just switching nights this one time ….
Teenager Boy: But Mom, you said you saw him in the hospital this week….
Mom: Uhmmmm… loving son, I was in a hospital gown, with an IV stuck up my arm …. I really don’t think that counts …..
Teenager Boy rolls his eyes …and mutters something I choose not to hear
REALLY?!?! Maybe I should have been more like my parents … just saying ….
No comments:
Post a Comment